04 February 2008

ONCE

Now that I've pretty much given up on new music, it's going to be difficult to insult new bands. I can informatively tell you not to buy any record released by an album label affiliated with the RIAA. Profits go to shareholders, not artists. Chrispy, please read that last line again.

So instead, I'll champion music I love. And tonight it's from a musical, featuring a singer/songwriter. I hate musicals, I hate singer/songwriters, and Once features both, and is the best movie I saw in 2007.

Once suggests something near and dear to my heart: music is not an art form; it's a form of communication. Unless you're a genius like Mozart or Bright Eyes, writing a song is translating, not creation. That's why the best musicians are humble, because they know they're not originators. That's why you can throw out Jim Morrison.

In Once, we get Glen Hansard. He fronts The Frames, and this movie makes his songs essential. The scene where he enters a music store and duets with Marketa Iglova; he plays a song that is phenomenally beautiful. I would be remiss to not telegraph that beauty to the 5-6 people who read this blog.

Watch Once.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave Cavalier said...

A friend of mine had the same reaction to this movie, but I couldn't remember the name. Thanks for the reminder. I will put it in my Netflix queue.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Chrispy said...

I read that line again. I'm not sure who I should be defending, but I can say this: anyone involved in the translation or transcription of music deserves to get something back for the effort. When I set up and operate the transcription machines it certainly ain't art, which is why I request compensation.

BTW, Mozart got paid quite well. So did Goya.

1:25 PM  
Blogger stinkrock said...

no argument there. And thank god Mozart never signed a record contract.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Dave Cavalier said...

But Mozart definitely did suffer from many of the same pressures that modern professional composers and musicians have to endure. A great many of his compositions were works for hire where the patron had a lot of input on what they wanted and how they wanted it to come out. It has always been thus and it will always be.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home