28 January 2008

LISTS

We have unfinished business, SR and you. I gotta finish some lists.

I can't help it, I love lists. I don't take them very seriously; as you can tell. To me, an ideal existence would be to hang out at the record store in High Fidelity with Cusack, Jack Black and the bald fey guy and come up with Top 5 Song Lists all goddamn day. Oh, and I'd like to be Kevin Bacon's character in Diner who sits around, drinks, and kills on the GE College Bowl. In fact, let's start a new list right now.

TOP 10 GUYS IN MOVIES I'D LIKE TO BE:

10. Bacon. Diner.

9. Clive Owen in 'Shoot 'Em Up'. I'm halfway there, already. See this movie.

8. Paul Stanley in 'The Decline of Western Civilization, Part II.' As you should probably know, Paul Stanley gives interviews for this movie lying naked in bed with three hot ladies. He's not doing anything to those chicks lying there naked in bed. He's gayer than the Charles Nelson Riley Fotomat in Dicksville, Alabama.

7. Roman Polanski in "Chinatown" (seen here in back view). Because as much as I love Nicholson, someone needs to shove a fucking knife up his nose.

6. Ned Beatty in Delivera....nah, just kidding.

5. Jeremy Licht, the kid in the 3rd episode of 'Twilight Zone: The Movie.' Everything he wished for came true. Everytime. Always. He also went on to star in "The Hogan Family" with Sandy Duncan's glass eye, still one of my favorite band names of all time. A band from Philadelphia in the early '90s that I never saw.

4. Gary Busey in "Point Break". It's been a lifelong dream of mine to call Keanu Reeves 'Utah' and make him get out of the car and buy me two meatball sandwiches. Esoteric, I know. That's why Busey's on my side of the crazy/genius border.

3. Keith Moon in "Rolling Stone's Rock and Roll Circus". A cheat, but just in case Mike Myers sucks ass, I want to be able to prove ongoing fandom.

anyway, we'll finish that list later. where was I?

Oh yeah.

Let's start with the easiest one, the Top 10 examples of Stink Rock. Looking back at my previous two posts, I have two #10s, a 9, a 6 and a 4, and a 2. Whoops. I should really stop sticking my hands into Hostess Fruit Pies before I type these things.

Here's a complete list. Check the old two posts if you want commentary on all 10. And send me sleazy rock links in the comments, for ruck's sake.

#10. Still TV Party by Black Flag.

#9. Hate the Police by Mudhoney.

#8. Negative Creep by Nirvana.

#7. Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. Sometimes the stinkrock isn't about the sound, it's all about the attitude. His first band Pussy Galore, did a song-by-song cover of Exile on Main Street. His more famous band, the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, put out a record called Orange in the '90s that turns girls into shake machines.

This is a surreal clip.

Disclaimer: I got to record bass through his bass amp once. It was HUGE. I stood in front of it. I'm deaf.

#6. Butthole Surfers, The O-Men.

#5. Iggy and the Stooges, "TV Eye". This is not at all a good representation of the Stooges, but I think it's pretty cool how Rob Machold shows up in the first 30 seconds.

#4. Dinosaur Jr., The Lung.

#3. Guided by Voices, Shocker in Gloomtown! In my 20's, I'd wake up for work, and my wife would walk my dog for 10 minutes. I'd snap like a rubber band to the CD and play GBV's 'The Grand Hour', a 10 minute EP of god-awful noise and glory. I'm divorced, and my dog died, but this album still drives me nuts.

Here, the Breeders do a kick-ass job covering it. They put GBV in the video, it's all good.

#2. Mclusky, Lightsabre Cocksucking Blues.

#1. Cavalier was close when he suggested 'Customer' should make the list. But alas, the blog is named after 'Stink'. So it's gotta be a God Damn Job.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dave Cavalier said...

No doubt about it. 1 through 4 would make my all-time greatest list in any life. I just listened to "The Lung" the other day and the sense of exaltation you get at the end is almost painfully beautiful.

Also, allow me to lament, yet again, the too-sudden demise of the great band McLusky. I just can't think of any band I've heard in the last 10 years that is so goddamned good.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Jackson said...

I want to be Harry Dean Stanton in any movie - even ones he isn't in. Shouldn't Harry be in every movie?

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the full "What's Up Matador" video that JSBX theremin clip is cut from. It's great, and should be part of our next movie night at your place.

Bonus content: The host in the clip, Bill Boggs, is a fill-in host on a NY1 show, and I've gotten to know him a little bit. He's creepy as hell and weird as fuck.

11:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"The rest is yours to keep /
and Billy Boggs is laughing in her sleep"

Rolling on....

11:42 PM  
Blogger Dave Cavalier said...

John -

Close, but Billy Boggs was a different person. She took her name from the newscaster, but she was actually a crazy lady who slept on a grate on Second Avenue in the 1980s.

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home