20 April 2006

STINK

In Stephen King's The Shining, Dick Hallorann tells little Danny Torrance that he and his grandmother used to smell oranges before they'd 'shine'. That smell of oranges told Dick that somewhat was happening that other folks don't know about. Oranges are sweet and nutritious, and the general idea here is that this sixth sense will get Danny out of trouble, despite an alcoholic child-abusing father, no friends and a lonely winter in a snowed-in hotel.

People who have Cotard's syndrome are depressed and suicidal, like the rest of us, but they take it a step further: they believe they are walking corpses, and can often times claim to smell their own flesh rotting and feel worms crawling through their skin. That's pretty disgusting. (This was brought to my attention in Chuck Klosterman's book 'Killing Yourself to Live', which Ted just finished reading and I'm coincidentally reading now.)

This morning, from the time I walked out my front door until the moment I got to work, all I could smell was fried chicken. I'm a little bothered by this. Either I'm receiving premonitions about greasy deep-fried trouble that will rear its head in the near future, or there's a chicken with Cotard's syndrome trapped inside my body. Either way, I'm uneasy.

But a little Googling Cotard's syndrome brought me here, where a music fan from Australia rates his bumping into Strokes lead singer Julian Casablancas as one of the sublime moments of his life. I'm hoping this is the extent of the uneasiness I was meant to uncover.

(Oh, and like some of my friends, this Aussie takes time out from writing about politics and music to make gratuitous pet posts.)

10 Comments:

Blogger Chrispy said...

Now, that guy's pet post may be gratuitous, but mine certainly wasn't....

1:25 PM  
Blogger stinkrock said...

Of course not. Buck's a good dog.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Dave Cavalier said...

My post was crucial to the debate about the war in Iraq. How could you have missed that?

"Gratuitous" indeed...

2:49 PM  
Blogger Chrispy said...

Yes, it turns out the WMD's were in Dave's apartment the whole time.

Think of the taxpayer money that could've been saved.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Dave Cavalier said...

The WMDs were never part of my rationale for supporting the love of dogs.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Tony Alva said...

Dogs and pools...

This summer I will photograph the annual baptism of my parents greyhounds into their pool. They kind of hang around and want to come in on their own, but chicken out at the last minute. Once this dance is over, my dad and I pick them up and carry them in. They then swim like the graceful dinosuars that they are back to the pool steps and out they go. Quite a sight to see...

4:29 PM  
Blogger Mike Lewis said...

Great post, it made me laugh... Chicken?

Everytime I smell my farts, i have a premonition I'm about to get punched by my wife.

I prefer the Klosterman book "Fargo Rock City" to the new one. Both are very good.

Um, I smell tuna and arby sauce all the sudden... what the hell could that mean?????

6:10 PM  
Blogger Jackson said...

Mike, I refer you to the Dead Milkmen's 'My Many Smells' - it won't help you at all, but it may briefly allow you to forget about your 'syndrome' long enough to drink enough to not worry about it until it's too late.

As for Klosterman - I think I've OK'd (Over Klostermaned). After 'Killing....' I read 'Fargo...' and now I hate him, and I want to meet him so I can punch him.

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work
» »

3:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site Proactiv sa l ai Sheer swimwear bikini sheer bikini Mitsubishi evolution viii mp3 player bodybuilder swimsuits Affiliate programs for bloggers Multi+trip+insurance Tourssearch.php qq ionamin Tooting percocet extreme osceola sports Seat covers for 1993 grand am laredo texas property taxes Connecticut amusement device games pinball and slot machines Los angeles baccarat crystal cat johnnys sports lounge jackson ohio bar blue monkey sports transformers toys to buy liposuction before and after photo Ativan dog dosage epilepsy Nj homeowners insurance laws Laramie sports

3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home