10 November 2005

Westerns (#30 of 50) - The Man from Laramie

I'm back on the 50 western kick. 21 in 50 days. It can be done.

The Man from Laramie is the 5th and last western Anthony Mann made with Jimmy Stewart. Along with The Naked Spur, they're two of the best I've seen this year. Gritty, smarter plotlines, and some really intense uncomfortable confrontations. On a scale of 1 to 10 shots of Early Times (I watch westerns while drinking shots of bourbon), I'd give it 7. Unfortunately, I already took 'em last night and fell asleep; I had to watch the rest of it this morning. These are puny shots too. Quit momming me.

Jimmy Stewart's been in a helluva lot of Westerns by 1955, but it still takes that cowboy a full 6-7 seconds to get on a horse, and the camera has to sit there and watch it. Funny stuff.

Up next - Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dfactor said...

Hey, the T-Giving holiday offers up plenty of Western movie watching time if you stay in NYC. Good luck, Black Bart!

11:22 AM  
Blogger stinkrock said...

I plan to. You're talking about the BAM movies? 'Fighting Fists of Shanghai Joe' is a martial arts Spaghetti Western starring Klaus Kinski. The movies just don't get better than that.

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! »

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home