03 November 2005

Spinning Plates

One of my most vivid childhood memories (thank you, Panasonic) is watching Bob Newhart spin plates on Battle of the Network Stars. Although, until I looked it up, I could've sworn it was Circus of the Stars. I remember appreciating Bob Newhart taking time off from his busy schedule to attempt to spin plates for my enjoyment. Now I realize he was probably enslaved by his Network and forced to humiliate himself for my enjoyment. That, my friends, is a circus--screw the show title. Humiliation is a key element in a circus. Ask the elephants.

For some reason I remember Bob Newhart being a pro at plate spinning on this show. Well, I looked it up and this is completely false, he sucked at it. At least when he was on Cattle of the Kraftwerk Stars, or whatever I think I remember it was called.

This whole thing bugs me on two levels. One, the misremembering. If I've walked this planet for the last 25 years thinking Bob Newhart could spin a plate or two, what else have I got wrong?

More than that, I've found that I am myself a plate-spinner. Let's face it, I'm the Sisyphus of plate-spinning. if I don't have 6 or 7 things going on at once, I stop sleeping until I've found something to fill the "void". I'm a dish-spinning missionary.

So to find out that Bob Newhart is a bust...well, he was the only other one I knew. So now I question my ability to keep spinning plates. And after that, I'll question my desire. Damn you, Newhart.

Oh, and last week I was watching a little of the World Series of Poker and saw Network Star Gabe Kapler (Mr. Kotter) at a table. I'll be honest -- I have no idea why this applies. I started writing this post 6 days ago and fell asleep in my chair, and don't remember where I was going with the Kotter theme.

Ask the elephants.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chrispy said...

Keep spinning, my man. You are born to spin.

There was a "Circus of the Stars," which lacked the nail biting "battle" element that Newhart was going through, but more than made up for it with visions of Julie from "the Love Boat" on the flying trapeze.

Who was Bob battling with the plate spinning anyhow?

10:59 AM  
Blogger stinkrock said...

I can't find any reference to a competitor. This may have been a solo battle.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Chrispy said...

I see. More like a "man vs. plate" kind of thing.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Jackson said...

I have been wondering why Bob Newhart had a career to begin with. Suzanne Plashette had a deep sexy smoky voice as I recall, and the patients that populated his office were sort of funny, but they never got any less looney - so he sucked at psychology as well.

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home