22 December 2005

PRONE

So I've been inactive. I hate this time of the year; I grow a little wearier of the Christmas season in New York every year. It's great to see friends and family, but that's true year-round. Everything else (parties, shopping, crowds, darkness, excessive cheer) is a little formidable, and someone always throws up after drinking my homemade eggnog.

The strike cheered me up. Real chaos. I know the strike did a lot of damage to a lot of people's wallets, but, hey, that's New York -- it's a big chew & spit whirlpool.

I logged 20 miles of walking in the three days of the strike. that's the distance at which my friend Tim Paul and many others hit their wall in a marathon. 3 days of walking and I still don't know how long 26 miles is. And I had several meals and hours of sleep in there.

At this time of year I lie prone on my carpetbed and try to relive the year, nose in the fibers. It was one of the busiest years of my life, but I have no idea what I did, and no idea how I got it done. Strangely, the strongest memory I have is from the end of last year, when I got home from the Christmas holiday at my parents' and thought about how I was going to spend 2005. I made lots of stupid goals, to be sure -- the 50 westerns, yeah, but cartoony stuff too, like "I want to be a mascot." "I want to cheat death." "I want to almost get hit by a car on Park Avenue, bang on the hood, get chased around the car, jump in the driver's door and speed away". Seriously. Stupid. I was looking to shake it up.

Make no mistake--this was a great year. I can't remember another year in my life where everything that happened to me was so undeniably good. Even when I was 1 and didn't have a care in the world, I fell out of a high chair and cut my chin open.

This year, I also tried to dive deeper into music. Fat chance--I was deep as I could go. In the last month, the darkness of the dive started to consume me, and I began surfacing. So as this year ends, my head's poking up, and I'm looking around, and have no idea what to do. My instinct is to float and wait.

So that's it. A wild and meaningful year, to be sure. My thanks and love to everyone who made this year good and lasting. I hope I reciprocated.


4 Comments:

Blogger Chrispy said...

I had a lot of fun working with you this year. Tigers, glass houses, and everything.

Here's to three more bands in '06!

Keep the rock stinkin'...

11:56 AM  
Blogger Jackson said...

It's good to have goals, no matter how fantastic they sound. It's also good not to stress over not achieving them. Relax in the knowing of what you did achieve, you booked more time at our studio than anybody else.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Chrispy said...

Yes, and for that we will send you a fruitcake.

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP Batman kid laptop http://www.mesotherapy-before-and-after.info Combining tylenol 3 and adderall xr Running threads Phone rings once Vintage fly fishing reel motorcycle insurance Find address and phone number

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home