11 December 2005

Let it Be

Tonight, my friends, we're talking about the best album of all time.

My favorite album of all time is "Let it Be" by the Replacements. I can't get into why, but you'd have to stab me to convince me otherwise. I just bought a dictionary and a globe, and the iconic album cover of the Replacements on that roof is in the dictionary next to like 50 of the words. "Iconic", "Tonsils", "unsatisfied" (which isn't even a real word). Amazing.

Everything I've ever wanted out of music is some recognition, some communication between maker and listener, some even ground to walk upon with my musical heroes. By the time I found my way to Let it Be, I realized that the Replacements already completely recognized me. They were drunk and hitting on me (I Will Dare), telling me jokes (Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out), teaching me guitar (Favorite Thing), trying to teach whores about romance (Answering Machine), androgynous (Androgynous), but most importantly, pissed off (Unsatisfied).

The globe I bought has no reference to the Replacements. In a nutshell, that's what's wrong with the world.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave Cavalier said...

The Replacements are SE of Upper Fender, as we discussed on Saturday.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Jackson said...

NE of Lower Gibson I think.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Dfactor said...

NW of Chicago, I remember....

2:21 PM  
Blogger Dave Cavalier said...

Must say that the Replacements show I saw in 1986 was one of my favorite youthful rock moments ever.

Doug, thanks again for taking me.

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home