27 November 2005

My new favorite song

This morning I woke up and did something I haven't done all year.

"What'd you do, Stinkrock? Wake up in your clothes? Wake up hungover? Wake up in a bowling shirt given to you by a 60-year old man named Mommy who offered you oral sex?"

Yeah, yeah, baby, I *did* all that. I turned down the BJ. It's okay!

No, what I'm talking about has nothing to do with Saturday night and everything to do with Sunday morning. I woke up and wrote a song.

The weird thing about being involved with so many projects is that I'm a utilitarian songwriter. I slot time to come up with ideas for something that might be a Microdot song, or maybe a Strikes Again! song. I work on a songwriting project I'm doing with my good friend Sari, putting her words to music. In an ongoing tribute to the Replacements, I occasionally put myself through an exercise to write and record loud fast (sometimes silly) rock songs in as short and thoughtless a time period as possible. But all this is preplanned, specific, controlled. Not once this year have I written a song just to write a song.

So one came out this morning. It's a minute 25, a minute 30. It's only got two lines. But it came out of nowhere, it has no attachments, it's mine, and I'm proud of hell as it. I feel consolidated, unified. And, I confess, a little uneasy about the shirt.

I make a year-end mix of songs I heard for the first time during the year that had an impact on me. I think I'll tack this one on at the end, and call it '2005'.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chrispy said...

Was that John's neighbor "Mommy"?

Sorry I missed Saturday night. Sounds like it was... interesting.

1:09 PM  
Blogger stinkrock said...

It was indeed Mommy, and yes, John's parties are always interesting. But fun.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Chrispy said...

Again, sorry I missed it.

I hope a shiny new mix of "No Ordinary Car" will make up for it. Will email tonight....

1:35 PM  
Blogger Jackson said...

Ahh the old radar tune, up goes the antennea, and before you know it - Pow!

I always like the songs that I write that I like better than the ones that I write that I don't like....

12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site adderall xr smashing non time released Orlando florida homeowners insurance Wild country tires Adderall without prescription from canada The twelve chairs Morman maternity clothes Difference between lexapro and prozac http://www.lesbian-10.info/Lesbianas-lesbico.html Effexor xr legs hurt cellulitis pregnancy

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home