30 December 2005

POWER

I've had to join Kim's Video to round out my Western craze. I've seen 13 of the damn things this month, and most of those were from Netflix. I guess I broke the Netflix pony down. Sure enough, there are bloody hoofprints up and down my sidewalk.

Earlier this week I made the mistake of renting a Region 2 version of Johnny Guitar, so I had to head back to Kim's to make an exchange. The glassy-eyed grrl stomped over to the empty box, and pointed out the large 'Region 2' label on the box, which I guess I missed. She also told me she couldn't give me credit for another rental, even though I'd only been in 3 hours before. Fortunately, her manager stepped in and did the right thing, but only after making me feel like an idiot for missing the label. Didn't bother me, though - I know he's just pissy because he hates his job.

Anyway, the next day I'm getting off the 6 train after work and I see the same girl running toward the turnstile to catch it, the very turnstile I'm about to exit through. I casually push through, and throngs behind me follow, leaving her powerless and dejected as she watches the train leave.

Gotcha, sis. I'm sorry I didn't tell you I have the power to make wrong things right again, but last night, you didn't give me the time.

6 Comments:

Blogger Chrispy said...

Why is Kim's even renting Region 2 DVD's?

1:30 PM  
Blogger stinkrock said...

Many movie buffs have region-free players to take advantage of foreign releases of movies that (a) haven't been released domestically (usually due to problems securing rights) or (b) have been released domestically but are poor quality. In Johnny Guitar's case, it's (a).

A good example of (b) is Mulholland Drive - my Region 1 version doesn't even have chapter stops. you have to fast forward through it like a (gasp) VHS to get to the Naomi Watts/Laura Harring makeout scenes. Not that I, um, ever do that.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Chrispy said...

But isn't it illegal for Kim's to be renting something that's not supposed to be available in the US?

DVD without chapters is even worse than VHS. At least VHS stays on the makeout scenes when you stop it.

3:15 PM  
Blogger stinkrock said...

oh, I see your point. I don't know the law, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kim's ignores it, as they also rent out DVD-Rs.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Chrispy said...

So next time Kim's gives you shit you can always call the Feds.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Jackson said...

I saw Mulholland Drive, as usual with Lynch movies, I didn't get it, but I found my self repeating the line "You drank all the diet coke", and i don't know why. I guess that's what makes a quality movie, something you can quite pin down stick with you days after.

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home