22 February 2008

Why to be a music fan

I just played 'Rain' by the Beatles for somebody for the first time. Do you know what that feels like?

In college, my friend Tim & I decided we would drive up and down the streets of Philadelphia blasting 'Debaser'. We never did. Instead, we became funny pyromaniacs.

Music's a language, and songs are snapshots. They're Polaroids. Anyone can make them, and everyone who can does, or should.

We would all be better off if we could fit our favorite music into shapes we could carry around with us. We'd find a cheap porch somewhere and empty our pockets.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave Cavalier said...

Oh man, there are so many songs I wish i could go back and hear for the first time.

The first 45 rpm single I ever owned was Paperback Writer and the B-side of that single is Rain. I used to play Rain endlessly and I would even rotate our crappy record player backwards to her the last verse forwards.

I can still see that little green record player now.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Jackson said...

The last paragraph sounds like a song taking shape to me....just a thought....

3:45 AM  
Blogger Dave Cavalier said...

It does, but, unfortunately it is taking shape in alternating bars of 7/4 and 10/4.

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home