13 December 2007

Devin Davis/The Police/How well do your myspace songs represent you? Episode 1 of 430

For the last 4 years, I've made a mix cd for friends with new music from the year. Not necessarily music released in that particular year, but pulling from a pool of all songs I heard for the first time. I'm still debating whether to make one this year; I didn't get around to a lot of new music, and albums by bands I used to love, well they left me a little cold. Left it on my front stoop, all wrapped up in a basket covered in a gingham cloth. I named him 'Chilly'.

But here's a song that would make that mix--except it's only playable on myspace. Let me set it up--it's from a dude from Chicago named Devin Davis. He looks like a cross between Luke Wilson and 'Donde Esta Waldo?'. But his first album 'Lonely People of the World Unite'!' was a quality record. He recorded it all himself blah blah blah Stevie Wonder Bright Eyes but his hooks are sharkworthy, and his lyrics are noticeable. I never notice lyrics, that's a large compliment. These are inventive and hooky and fun to shout at strangers. And he shouts them , so you know he knows they're good. I saw him play in 2006 at the Mercury Lounge, and he's no Iggy Pop live, but he closes his eyes and thinks he's Iggy Pop, which is even better. No glass.

Anyway, the song I'd include on this mix is called 'When I Turn 99' and it's here. If it grabs you at all, stick around for Giant Spiders and, especially, Cannons on the Courthouse. What other song refers to the famous incident (thanks TD) where Willie Nelson smokes pot on the top of the White House? That's a rhetorical question.

Actually, listen to 'When the Angels Lift Our Eye' too. I like Devin Davis even more. He actually puts the best songs on his album on his myspace page. That's the way it should work. I mean for god sakes, what the ground chuck are The Police thinking? Have you seen the four songs they chose for their myspace site? Wait, wait, wait. Don't look. I'll tell you.

ROXANNE. ok. first well-known single. very popular. Fine.

CAN'T STAND LOSING YOU. ok. second well-known single. and quite an amazing little song. maybe we're over-representing the first album, we know there's a Regatta de Blanc track coming, or Don't Stand..., and we haven't even got to Ghost in the Machine. Still, good stuff.

SPIRITS IN THE MATERIAL WORLD. Oh, so we have got to Ghost in the Machine? Ok, that's questionable. I can see leaving out Zenyatta. But no Regatta? The bottle has no message? The moon has not been walked upon?

I occasionally try to iron the wrinkled image of your wife giving birth (I'm speaking directly to Sting now) off of my memory, but unfortunately you put the footage into a movie entitled 'Bring on the Night'. That song's good enough for a feature length film, but not good enough for myspace. O--kay. Well, I thought it was one of your best. But hey, there's still one spot left, and we haven't even got to Synchronicity...

WRAPPED AROUND YOUR FINGER. Are you kidding me? This is the track from Synchronicity? This is the pinky toe of Police singles. Is there's anyone except the guy who sells candles to MTV who would put this in their top 4 Police songs?

We have to be ready, people. We have to prove the intelligence of our society. The aliens/dolphins are coming. And we will be judged. Anyone who knows the Police, please ask them to get Synchronicity II up on myspace right away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home