03 November 2006

stinkrock is back

This blog started after my beloved St. Louis Cardinals got eliminated from the playoffs last year. I think I posted 6 blogs in one night.

Well, this year, the Cards won everything. They are, supposedly, the worst team to ever win a championship in any professional organized sport.

Over the last few weeks, I met a bunch of New Yorkers who were equally rabid fans, and watched several games of the playoffs with them. When it all was over, I hugged all of them, and sprayed champagne on several of them.

The only reason I met any of these people, the only reason I sought these people out in the first place, was because I was able to find them. And over the last few years, I've found Cardinals fans stinking up the Web, spanning geography and generation.

This isn't the first time I've had that experience. In 1995, I was a huge Bob Mould fan and discovered an email listserv dedicated to the topic of all things Bob Mould/Sugar related. Bob was my stepping stone. The commentary on the list was pretty dry, but I was amazed at the technology of sharing and extrapolating extreme fandom with complete strangers.

One day, on that list, some hardcore fan lists a tracklisting for a Bob solo live date, and includes the songs he played at his soundcheck, which featured a song called "Gold Star for Robot Boy" by a band called Guided by Voices. I checked this band out, and long LONG long story short, ended up joining an email list centered on the discussion of Guided by Voices. Which leads me to an outstanding fact:

Almost everyone I consider a friend in New York City; I met through this band. Seriously, almost everyone. Without GBV, I never would've joined Moneyshot, never would have become Microdot, never would've met or joined forces with Strikes Again!, never would have recorded at Smoke & Mirrors...never.

So, it's worth my weight in salt to keep connecting. You never know who you'll meet.

(Oh, and last thing...this is the most positive thing you'll hear me say for the next few months. Put your helmets on, and keep reading.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Jackson said...

Welcome back....what's that smell?

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About fucking time!

Don't worry, the Cardinals are only ONE of the worst teams to ever win a championship, not THE worst team. That's just crazy talk.

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"If I waited for you to show me all the moves that I should make...."

I'd Be DEAD!

I love you (just kidding)

Seriously, post more journal entries - I learn shit here.

My grandma turned 95 in January - we were slugging champagne at her party!

Cheap drinks at 151 soon?

5:50 PM  
Blogger Tony Alva said...

A triumphant return to the blogosphere!!! Congrats on the Cards series win. I actually watched a couple of the games myself.

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home