20 July 2006

INSECTDIGITAL

Life's many confluence's flow and ebb around us as the seasons envelop one another. My music listening is seasonal. For instance, I really only listen to Tom Waits in the winter (from the Music to Drink Bourbon to series).

And then there's summer. When I was younger, DJs and music video channels would try to convince me that there were quintessential summer songs. But summer is uncomfortable and unrelenting in New York City. People are hot, people are pressed in, and we stop being people. We smell like the oceans our ancestors swam through to get here. We either burn up in the city's open spaces or hide in the shade of the gothic pillars that are phasing us out. We become savages. I've seen people turn in the twinkling of an eye. The city heats up like a volcano, and we all look to escape. Music? At your own risk - turning on your stereo and your leaky air conditioner/ might cause a brown out.

And then some days it gets really hot, like it did this week. And here come the flies, to hide from the heat? Or are they crazy from it, like David Lee Roth with 1,000 eyes? Or are they attracted to the glow and the heat people give off, like winged paparazzi?

Well, this guy pictured below wanted neither. He seemed to be saying something portentous about the digital age of music (it's covered with flies). That, or he was looking for the feel good hit of the summer.




4 Comments:

Blogger Tony Alva said...

Great post Mike...

I like the joke riff the chick on The Last Comic Standing told the other night about summer in NYC:

"Everybody who finds out I'm from NY always comments to me about their own visit to NYC in the summertime, '...It smells like urine everywhere'. They don't just say this, they yell it at me like I'm the one squating and pissing in front of Sak's"

1:49 PM  
Blogger Jackson said...

Make sweatrock, a pre cursor to stinkrock that I'm sure you've known at some point.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Chrispy said...

That fly is A GOOD BOY!

Who's the good fly? Who's the good fly?

The garbage in the hallway has not been taken out in the last month; such is the beauty of our "lease" running out. So we're visited by the occasional fruit fly. Must be payback for the thousands I killed in genetics class.

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » »

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home